Shire Hall

Originally built by Thomas Seckford in 1575.

Originally built by Thomas Seckford in 1575, the upper part of the Shire Hall was used for judicial purposes while the ground floor served as an open corn market.

shire hall woodbridgeMany changes followed over the intervening centuries, notably the addition of Flemish gabling and stone capping in the 17th Century and the bricking up of the archways in the early 19th Century. However, the Hall continued to serve in a judicial capacity until recent times, maintaining a link with the Elizabethan era.

In 1987 Woodbridge Town Council purchased the Shire Hall from Suffolk County Council, and the building has since served as the public office of the Council. The first floor was used by the Suffolk Punch Trust for many years as a museum but is now leased to a private tenant. 

The Shire Hall is also an approved premises for Civic Marriages, Partnership Ceremonies and Baby Naming Ceremonies, with around twenty services taking place each year. The Council Chamber can also be hired for private meetings, functions, and parties. 

shire hall reducedThe Market Square provides seated areas underneath the canopy of mature trees and is also the site of an ornate, Grade 2 listed stone pump house built in 1876. The Market Square hosts the weekly Woodbridge Thursday Market, and during the summer local restaurants bring out their tables to create a uniquely French vibe in East Suffolk. The square hosts the 'Round the Town' road race in early May and is popular with Carol singers when the town's Christmas tree is installed.