St Mary's Church

One of the great churches.

The tower is one of Suffolk's biggest and dramatic in the landscape, the exquisite flintwork in the magnificent north porch and in the tower battlements will draw you to this church. The tower rises over 30 metres and is one of the finest in England.

St Mary’s was largely built in one period around 1417-1545, funded by bequests including a generous one from a local twill weaver to help build the tower, remarkably by hand 1448-63. But it was the town’s greatest benefactor, Elizabethan lawyer, Thomas Seckford who extended the north aisle to form a chapel in the 1560s.

The Domesday Book records in 1086 that in ‘Wodebryge’ there was‘A church with 19 acres’.


A great English church that sailors use as a focal point when sailing up the river Deben.

The tower is one of Suffolk’s biggest, bold and dramatic and the stained glass is beautiful.

A leaflet and a full guide are available in the church.

Contact: St. Mary’s Church, 11 Market Hill, IP12 4LP
Telephone: 0194 388820
www.stmaryswoodbridge.org